Saturday, May 12, 2007

Beautiful Mistake


When planning my plant purchases, I carefully choose a bloom color that will work best in the spot I have picked for it. The desert abounds with yellow in the spring, so I wanted a cactus with purple-red blossoms to complement all that yellow, so I chose a Strawberry Hedgehog (Enchinocereus engelmannii.) It was more expensive than many of the other Hedgehog specimens, but I didn't care. It would be the perfect choice for its surroundings. My cactus bloomed, and here are the results. This is not a Strawberry Hedgehog as labeled by the nursery. I believe it to be a Texas Rainbow Hedgehog (Echinocereus dasycanthus,) and though the blooms are beautiful, I didn't need yet another yellow flower. When I called the nursery to complain, they said if I brought it in I could exchange it, but I just couldn't make myself dig up that cactus from its new home, just because it was the wrong color.
There must be a moral here.

"When gardeners garden, it is not just plants that grow, but the gardeners themselves."

- Ken Druse

No comments: