Thursday, June 14, 2007

Seed Success

As I was cleaning up some of the dried seed heads and other debris around my garden last month, on a whim I collected the seeds from my Coral Aloe (Aloe striata) and placed them in a plastic pot that held a sand, gravel and cactus soil mixture left over from a recently purchased and transplanted succulent.

I've never been much interested in seed propagation of cacti and succulents, so this was my first attempt and I really didn't expect much. To my surprise, in just a few days, eight tiny blades appeared in the soil mix--just the number of seeds I had planted. I was amazed at how easily they germinated--I actually felt like a kindergartener growing her first bean sprout!

I've since learned that Coral Aloe is one of the easiest succulents to propagate by seed, so it was a good choice--even if it was by chance that I chose those seeds. Aloe striata seedlings grow fast and should reach flowering size in three to four years. Although that's quick in the cacti and succulent world, it is not quick enough for me to consider becoming a seed propagation aficionado, but I think I'm going to have fun watching the progress of these eight baby Aloes.

This first success piqued my curiosity enough to check out information on seed propagation, and I've discovered a plant propagation database that has extensive information on just about any plant. I've perused this site for days now, and have learned quite a bit on the various methods of propagation. Who knows—at this rate, I may become a propagation aficionado after all.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking around your blog.
I really love it. You are going to be very popular because you are a good writer and gardener and your blog is different than any other I have seen.

I live in California and I love succulents. I'm not so big into cactus because I'm clumsy and I'm always sticking myself with the two I do have. Also, I have two boys and they are as clumsy as I am.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I really enjoy your blog.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Chigiy

Aiyana said...

Thanks so much for the compliment. I'm glad you like my blog, because I really enjoy sharing information and photos about my garden and plants.

Anonymous said...

Now that my coral allow flowers are fading they are being replaced by green pods. Is this where the seeds are?

Aiyana said...

Yes. When they dry, crack them open and you have seeds.
Aiyana