Thursday, September 20, 2007

Clumping Dwarf Cactus Doing Its Thing

Rebutia marsoneri 'krainziana'


Members of the Rebutia genus are true dwarfs, with the heads growing no larger than about three inches high and three inches in diameter in most species. Many Rebutia species are even smaller, growing only to one-half inch high and wide. There are about 60 species in the genus, which now includes cacti that had formerly been classified in five other genera.

I like the R. marsoneri 'krainziana' because it freely clumps and forms many heads, as you can see in the photo. The largest head is currently producing three new offsets. This cactus has already outgrown its small pot, so I have a job to do this coming weekend.

There are varying reports as to what color flowers the R. marsoneri ‘krainziana’ normally produces. I purchased this species because the vendor assured me the flowers would be red, but other sources say the flowers are normally yellow. Yet another source says the ‘krainziana’ always has red flowers, but there are cultivars going under that name that have yellow flowers. I guess I won’t know until early next spring when the first blooms are expected.

I have several species of Rebutia, one of which I wrote about previously. The flowers range in color from orange, rose, yellow, and a tiny R. rauschii that has gorgeous magenta flowers. The flowers are sometimes as large as the cactus.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to cacti and think I may have chosen the wrong species for a small container. This krainziana sounds like the right kind for the container, but I'm not keen on the prickles. Are there varieties that have similar growth habit without prickles?

Aiyana said...

Hi nikkipolani,
Actually, the spines on this Rebutia are soft (like a bristle) so they don't really stick. R. rauschii is a beautiful little cactus that has spines that curve downward and hug close to the cactus body, so they don't easily stick.
Astrophytum myriostigma (Bishop's Cap)and A. asterias have none at all.

Julie said...

Lovely dark green color, and the plant looks so perfectly healthy. It's beautiful.
Julie

Doctor Mom said...

I love all your cacti!