Friday, September 14, 2007

Tanzanian Zipper Plant

Euphorbia anoplia


This little colony of Euphorbia anoplia received some frost damage this past winter, as you can see by the yellow areas on the skin. The minimum temperature it should receive is 50°, but I had it protected on the patio and thought that was going to work, but it just got too cold, even with a circulating fan and overhead protection. The damage doesn’t really hurt it, except cosmetically, and this species needs all the cosmetic help it can get.


This clumping succulent, called the Tanzanian Zipper Plant because of the zipper-like pattern on its skin, is native to South Africa, and it is one of the succulents that require a water rest during winter. I planted four E. anoplia in this container, hoping they would quickly clump and make a little forest of succulents. They are off to a good start.


While taking this photo, I wondered why I ever purchased these Euphorbs. They are ugly and they don’t have any unique features other than the zipper pattern on the skin. It’s funny that I never really noticed before just how unattractive they are. Maybe I’m just not in a succulent mood today.

3 comments:

Alice said...

They look a bit like a higgeldy-piggeldy city skyline with all their buildings of different heights.

Julie said...

Ha ha ha...you're crackin me up!!! I like the look of them...ha ha ha.....

kate said...

I think their pattern redeems them. They are appealing for their homeliness maybe.