Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Gymnocalycium schickendantzii

Gymnocalycium schickendantzii


With a name like this, you gotta have spines! This cactus is similar to the Giant Chin I wrote about yesterday, but the skin is a brighter green and the ribs are more distinct, but without the chin like dimple under each areole. I think it’s far more attractive than the G. saglionis.

The G. schickendantzii is smaller than the Giant Chin. This species can reach seven inches in diameter and about six inches high. It has reddish spines, which can vary in length from specimen to specimen. These are quite long in the range of possibilities.

This Gymno does not have a common name. It has yet to bloom, so I'm not sure what color the flowers will be. They can range from white to red. They are funnel shaped with a longer throat than those of the Giant Chin. In August, a bud formed, but never opened. I would love it if it turned out to be red. Maybe next year I’ll know.

All Gymnocalycium should be kept on the dry side, even in summer. They do better when a humus-rich soil potting soil is used, as long as it has enough pumice or other material to help give it excellent drainage.

3 comments:

CG said...

I have that exact same cactus but i did not know what it was called. Nice photo.

Ewa said...

Wow! what a nice photo of a cactus!
very interesting perspective.
I can not find an archive of your blog. Am I blind?
Greetings,
ewa

Aiyana said...

Hi Ewa,
I had taken off the archives because most folks like to search by labels, but I just added archives back for now. Thanks for asking.