Saturday, November 3, 2007

Mammillaria saboae

Mammillaria saboae


No flowers this week, but I think the spines on this miniature cactus are as beautiful as a flower. This Mammillaria saboae is in a hallowed out limestone rock, where it has resided for over two years, according to the vendor from whom I purchased it from last week. He says it can probably remain in this rock for up to five more years it is so small.



This tiny Mexico native has downward curved radial spines, so it is touchable. In the spring, it will have large lilac pink flowers that will totally cover the cactus stems. If one didn’t know it was a cactus, it would be easy to assume that is was just a nice miniature flower arrangement. The cactus stems are only ¼ inch in diameter and get about ½ inches high. The funnel shaped flowers are about 1½ inches across.

This little cactus is susceptible to red spider mites. Since it is very sensitive to over watering, I have to be diligent about using a moisture meter to gauge its watering needs until I’ve had it awhile. The shallow hollow and limestone help with fast drainage. It also needs to be kept in light shade.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely :o)

maiylah said...

so beautiful ... the close-up shot is awesome!

My GTS post

Muum said...

I have never seen a cactus like this one before. I am learning about how much variety there is in this family from you!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous close up photo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aiyana, I agree this cactus is beautiful. It sounds like the cactus will need alot of care. I think it looks great in the rock.
Sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely cactus, reminds me of my trip to the SW and your photos are great. So much texture captured.

Mary said...

Aiyana,

A very beautiful flower and I love the way it's growing in the rock. I'd love to see it when it is in bloom with those lovely lilac pink blossoms.

Thanks for posting on my GTS. Yes, morning glories are one of my favorite flowers as well. I love that deep blue color.

Mommy Lutchi said...

love those greens....mine is up at
My Two Cents Worth Hope you can visit me too.

kate said...

That is an adorable cactus. I will be curious to see it in full bloom come spring. I imagine it is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Amazing close-up for your cactus!

Anonymous said...

Likewise. Great Closeup.

Love the symmetry. Reflections of the Fibonacci almost.

kml said...

Love the macro shot of this little guy!

Sarah said...

Beautiful plant. I love the close-up photo.
Happy GTS,
~Sarah

Gardenmomma Chris said...

Aiyana,
This photo is amazing! There are both wonderful, but the first needs to be blown up on a wall somewhere! What a miracle it is! Have a great week, Chris

Julie said...

Hi Aiyana...
i got behind in life and didn't get a GTS photo up. This is a beautiful little cactus...glad it is touchable too. You gotta love that!!! Hey...wanted to tell you that I only took a stab that this cactus on my blog is an opuntia...sure looks like it to me with the big pads...but it is pretty with those pre-bloom things that come off it, dont you think? If you can't find what it is, I will drive to the college and ask...they should be able to tell me.
Julie

this said...

It would make a glorious photo on a wall. How amazing that it can live on nothing more than rock.

Bouganvillea is in almost every garden here. Mostly the bright pink, but other colours too. It grows in gargantuan proportions.

Happy GTS.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful, Aiyana! Those spines look like a style of Paraguayan lace making that's delicate but extremely durable.