Friday, April 4, 2008

Back To My Rosy Past

Rosa 'Tiffany'


In the mid 1970s, I had a grass lawn, fruit trees, numerous vines, several tomato plants, and…rose bushes. Six in all. The two I remember from my garden were Mr. Lincoln and Peace. It was my first, and only, attempt at growing roses. After moving from that house in 1980, I never had a lawn again and I’ve stuck with desert landscaping exclusively.

When I started garden blogging last year and began visiting other blogs, many of them featured beautiful roses. I was especially taken with the rose photos Nikkipolani posted, and was tempted to try a few roses again. Well, I finally took the plunge after 33 years and picked up three hybrid teas earlier this year. I even found some rose food from 1976 that I had stored away, along with a Caring for Roses book from that era.

The first to bloom is Tiffany, a very fragrant pink blend that I got at Wal-Mart as a container rose. It was on special for $6.00. I didn’t want to pay a lot for the roses—I’m really not into the whole rose-growing thing enough to spend a lot of money. I'm not yet sure if I want to spend the time following the endless instructions on how to care for them. I'll do the best I can with my three new bushes, and if they make it, great. If not, oh well. However, it is a thrill to see this first rose.

After thinking about it, maybe I should throw out that 32-year-old rose food.

6 comments:

Teri said...

Such gorgeous colors in this rose!

Barbara said...

What a delight to see this wonderful rose (I am a rose addict!). And it is indeed somehow strange to see this rose in your wonderful "desert garden" with all the (for me) exotic plants you have there.

beckie said...

Good Luck with the roses. I have had some from Wally World that have done very well. Not sure about all your heat, though. We'll just have to take a wait and see attitude.

Julie said...

This is a really lovely rose! I was wondering if you would try and use the rose food...I wonder if it would still have it's umph! It might...LOL.

kate smudges said...

Tiffany is beautiful ... I didn't realise you had some roses! The rose photographs on Nikkipolani's blog are incredible. That rose food has been through a few moves -maybe it's still okay. What do I know though?

Anonymous said...

Heeeee! I'm tickled that you are growing roses again after all these years. Tiffany is a terrific rose that has done really well for me. I hope she'll do well enough for you to keep her :-)