Friday, October 17, 2008

Upside Down Saguaro Plate

Most everyone I know is aware that I love cacti, so gifts occasionally have a cactus theme, such as this decorative plate and stand I received a couple of years ago. I like its shape and color, but the cacti on the plate are very oddly drawn. It was made in Mexico. Thousands of cacti come from Mexico, including Saguaro in the Sonoran Desert region, so I found it ironic that the Saguaro cacti on this plate are so unrealistic. Most of the arms point downward, hug close to the main stem and are just too long. This type of growth just doesn't happen. Occasionally, an arm will twist downward, but they do not start out that way.

I'm not sure what the small bushes with plumes are meant to represent, but they are unlike any desert plant I've ever seen! Some may argue that the artist meant for the cacti and other vegetation to be stylistic, or that it's the artist's vision and shouldn't be questioned. I could buy into that if it wasn't for the fact that the prickly pear and barrels look fairly normal.

Luckily, the person who gave me this plate does not use the Internet. But in case she ever sees this post, I do appreciate the gift. It's the thought that counts, and that's why I do keep it on display in spite of the screwy cactus depictions!

4 comments:

Claude said...

Sometimes it's the flaws in something that make it worthwhile. But I do wonder what the artist was trying to do...

Lythrum said...

I like that my mom doesn't use thhe internet because it gives me somewhere to ask...what was she thinking? I do like the colors on the plate, but I agree with your comments.

Anonymous said...

I just returned from my first trip to Phoenix - and I loved all the cacti. I was driving south on I-40 heading into the city when we came over a rise and I saw my first "fields" of saguaro. I was so excited I called the friends we were staying with and shared my news. She just laughed.

Each cactus is so beautiful - I cannot even imagine portraying them in such a "stylistic" manner - and theplates shape and color are nice. Wonder what happened when it was time to add the plants?

kate smudges said...

This is so funny ... love the critique!