Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Where is Autumn?



Fall seems a lot way off with our continuing heat, but my roses have suddenly started forming buds again and putting on some foliage after shedding much of it the last couple of months. The flowers are still small and deformed, but at least they're trying. You can see the heat damage on the outer petals. I need to start the fall schedule of fertilizing the rose bushes, but I don't want to push any leaf production until the weather is a little cooler.





The tiny .20 inches of rain we received four days ago was just enough to prompt this Echinopsis 'Los Angeles' to put out a small flower. This particular cactus usually manages up to fourteen flowers at once in the spring, and sometimes again in late October. Lately, I can't seem to get my camera to focus properly. It seems all my photos are slightly out of focus regardless of settings. So, this is the best I can do for now. I almost hate to post because of the poor photo quality!





Yet another barrel bloomed this week. Barrel cactus flowers don't vary a lot, except the coloration from barrel to barrel. My last post showed some of the others that have bloomed recently. I do have several more types of barrels that are spring bloomers and three others, including Golden Barrel, Emory’s Barrel, and Ferocactus rectispinus, that won't bloom for another 15 years or so. I don't think I'll be around for those blooms!




7 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Aiyana I am always amazed with what beautiful cactus flowers you have .. and these roses are just stunning !
Even tiny amounts of moisture makes such an impact on your garden .. it is such a treat to see : ) thank you!
Joy

Lythrum said...

Those roses are so beautifu, as is Los Angeles. :) My roses are going crazy right now, I guess the cooler weather is helping them some.

Julie said...

Beautiful blooms, all the way around, Aiyana! I am justy sitting here waiting for fall temps! Please hurry!!! For now all I can do is dream!

Rock rose said...

I think it is amazing that roses bloom in such heat. We are feeling some cooler air here which is having a great impact on the plants. Fall is on the way.

beckie said...

Out of focus? I didn't see that. What I did see were lovely roses and enchanting cacti blooms. Amazing considering the heat they have had to deal with. I hope your fall and winter make up for the dreadful summer you have had.

Rock rose said...

Aiyana- Just in case you didn't see my reply to your comment. can you tell me were I can get a hold of the MG's publication you talk about. Just curious. Can I pick it up somewhere in Phoenix. I will be at my son's later this month.

Chris said...

I am going to attempt to plant my first roses next month. Any advise?

Your photos look great to me.