Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Another Sans To See

Sansevieria suffruticosa v. longituba

Another Sansevieria species that I have is the S. suffruticosa v. longituba, which has an architecturally interesting growth habit. This semi-succulent can’t take sun or frost, so it stays potted so I can move it as necessary. Starting in November, I will not water this specimen until mid-February, as it is very rot-prone in winter.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, this genus contains 60 species and an untold number of cultivars. I commented yesterday that Sansevieria was in the Agavaceae family. This is no longer the case. The genus, now classified in the Dracaenaceae family, originates from Arabia, Africa, and India. It’s difficult to keep up with the seemingly constant reclassification that goes on in the plant world.

Some folks specialize in collecting Sansevieria cultivars, and there is even a Society for them. I like them well enough, but unless I see another really different species, I think I’ll stick to the few I have.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you ever going to run out of plants?
You blog truly amazed me. There is always something new. I love it.

Aiyana said...

Chigiy,
I think have enough to get me through another 4-5 months of posts. As with all gardens, some die off, others are added, so it's hard to predict exactly how many to go. My goal was to write about them all--sort of my version of a garden journal.
Come spring, I'll have a lot of cactus flowers to show!

Julie said...

I can't wait till spring flower show!!!
I like the look of these type of plants...they are pleasing to the eye, with their patterns.
Julie

Unknown said...

The true gardeners motto,
'There's always room for one more plant'......