Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mojave Prickly Pear


Opuntia phaeacantha

At a recent community yard sale, I picked up this Mojave Prickly Pear (Opuntia phaeacantha) for a bargain (at least compared to nursery prices). I saw several pots of it near his front door that looked very attractive, so I thought I needed yet another species of Opuntia in my garden.

The guy who sold it to me casually mentioned that it probably had not fully rooted as he had placed it in a container only a month ago. When I moved it to a decorative pot, it was obvious that he had just stuck it in the potting soil, probably a day before the sale! No matter—it will eventually root, with no harm done. Sometimes it takes up to six months before roots form on planted pads, and as long as the potting soil remains relatively dry, the pad will not rot.

This slow growing species is common throughout the Southwest. It forms clumps, sprawling up to 15 feet wide. It grows to about four feet high. In the wild, it hybridizes with other Opuntia species, so true identification is difficult. The one pictured displays all the characteristics of the O. phaeacantha so I don't believe this is a hybrid.

One of the reasons I wanted this species is for its long and profusely spined pads. In spring, it will have golden-yellow flowers, followed by fruit that eventually turns wine red. The fruits are very sweet and juicy, and often used to make candies and jellies.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Prickly Pear, one of the most dangerously invasive weeds ever introduced into Australia. http://www.northwestweeds.nsw.gov.au/prickly_pear_history.htm

I hope yours doesn't get out of control...at least it shouldn't until it get roots ....lol.

kate said...

This cactus must look incredible when it reaches four feet in height. I love the look of the pads ...I imagine the flowers are really pretty too!

verobirdie said...

It just scares me. And it can reach 4 feet in height? I would not dare pass in front of it.
But you seem to be found of this guy, so everything is good :-)

Aiyana said...

Alice,
I checked out the site on the prickly pear. Fortunately we don't have an invasiveness problem, probably because of our very low rainfall, which prevents rampant spread--and, it's native here, so that usually means it controls itself naturally.
I have 5 different species of prickly pear in my garden, and this one in a pot, where it will stay. No chance of it spreading!

kate said...

Thanks for the id on the Aloe. Sorry that the photo wasn't better ... I added a link to your blog in the post.