Sunday, February 8, 2009

First of the Season

Penstemon parryi



This is the first Parry's Penstemon of the season. I don't have the large stands of Penstemon that I had last year, as winter rains were lighter this year. About a dozen more Penstemon plants will be blooming soon, but this one always blooms first because of its sunny location.


Phacelia campanularia



A Desert Bluebell (Phacelia campanularia) seed blew into one of the large wok planters that sit on pillars on each side of the gate leading into my front yard courtyard. It received more water than the other Desert Bluebells because of its location, so it is further along than any of the hundreds of others coming up right now in my front yard. We had rain today, so that's going to help all the growing wildflowers on my property, not to mention the weeds.



Desert Bluebells are unbelievable seed producers, and if not controlled, they will take over my whole property in spring. When coming up, they blend in so well with the granite ground cover, you don't know they are there until they grow to about two inches high and the leaves take on a purple hue.

Aloe zebrina

The flowers on this Aloe zebrina finally opened after a month of just sitting there unopened. The flower stalk grows quickly, but then the flower buds just sit. When they finally begin opening, they will sit again for a month or so before gradually drying up.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiyana, the desert bluebell may be invasive, but it is such a pretty color blue, which is not that common a flower color, that I think I would have to let a few survive.

Jan
Always Growing

WiseAcre said...

It will be some months before I see any Penstemon in bloom. The Bluebells look to be a blessing and a curse.

Hard to believe but I have rain in today's weather forecast. Snow is falling right now so I'll have to see what happens as the day warms up. I really needed a break from the sub-zero temps.

Ashraf sharif said...

Beautiful and really i like your garden many plants ,flowers and colours

beckie said...

Aiyana, what beautiful flowers you are starting to have. I love the bluebell and would love to see a yard full of them. But I understand the nuisnace of such plants. This is about the time the desert strts to bloom isn't it? I would love to see it.

Claude said...

Yeah... spring is coming!

We don't have any real wildflowers starting yet, but the daffodils are poking up. Usually we have to worry about frosts up through March, but this year has been so mild that we may be at about the end of it.

Guess we'll see.

Julie said...

Aloe blooms are kinda funny that way! I have a couple of them going on in one of my tires right now. I was noting it being such a long making and lasting bloom!

Love those Desert Blubells...such a beautiful blue hue!

Pudgeduck said...

Wonder why -only 10 miles away and not a bloom on any of my same plants? Mine are all facing west full sun! Hopefully they will catch up soon!Can't wait!! Beautiful as usual!!!

Anonymous said...

My penstemons are poised to flower as well. I can't wait. They are such beautiful flowers! :)

kesslerdee said...

My Aloe are still in the bud sitting stage- no open blooms yet!
How do you incorporate your wildflowers? Do you have them in certain areas? Do you just scatter seeds?

Rock rose said...

That is a very interesting penstemon. I love the leaf form. It has a desert look. I can't wait to see the desert in bloom. I have this aloe too and it is sending up a flower stalk.

Aiyana said...

Beckie,
It's close to wildflower season. Right now, not much has started, but we've had rain the last two days, and they usually helps a lot!

Dee,
Trying to keep wildflowers confined to certain places is next to impossible. I started them in one area in the front yard, and two areas in the back, but they don't stay there. Wind and birds help spread them. Each year, more come up. There are so many now I just let them come up, but then try to get rid of the ones that are in areas where I absolutely don't want them. I do this long before they flower. If I wait, there will be thousands more next year. They look pretty while they're blooming, but after they start to dry out in late April/early May, they look like dead weeds. Since I have such a big property, it's one heck of a job. Most people with smaller yards like to just scatter them everywhere. A little seed mix goes a long way, especially over the course of many years.
Aiyana

Barbara said...

It always is a joy to see the bright and strong colours in your garden. A feast to my eyes which, at the moment only see snow in my garden. I wonder whether my penstemon has survived this long and cold winter or not. I doubt.