Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Agave guiengola

Agave guiengola



Although very heat tolerant, this particular species of Agave prefers a bit of shade here in the low desert. It does not produce many leaves, and that makes it a flat, open type of Agave that will grow to about three feet tall and four feet wide. It produces offsets when young, but as it ages, offsets become fewer and fewer.

The only downside to this Agave species is that it is fairly frost tender, not faring well when the temperature dip below 25 degrees. We don't get many winter nights that low here, but all it takes is one time to cause some damage.

This plant was a tiny offset when I got it a few years ago at one of our local Cactus and Succulent Society meetings. It was on the "free" table and it included a note that it had been grown under a tree, so I thought I had the perfect spot for it. It has since been thriving in the shade of a Palo Verde tree. I really like its shape and color, so I hope it produces some offsets so I can start a few more here and there.  In looking more closely at this photo, I think I've spotted a pup peeking out from one of the leaves. I'll be checking first thing in the morning!

5 comments:

Claude said...

yep... I see a pup under there... cool... it's a good little guy. I've been working so hard that I haven't had time to find a darned thing to post about, and I haven't seen anything worth posting about. But I'm gonna try! Nice to see you posting though...

mr_subjunctive said...

Oooo! Pretty!

danger garden said...

This is a new one for me, and a beauty! And it really does look like you've got yourself a pup there...

Julie said...

Yeah...a new pup!!!!! Very exciting! :)

Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

What a beauty of a plant. And you have a pup! Yeah very cool! It must be happy.