Monday, October 1, 2012

The Big Stink

Stapelia hirsuta 


It's the time of year when temperatures cool and getting to spend time on the patio is again possible. It's also time for my 'S. hirsuta' to bloom. So far, it's had about eight flowers on it, but this one is the largest one to date. And it stinks! So much for enjoying my patio. The smell attracts flies and other insects that feast on carrion, and they then act as pollinators. As you can see, a fly has burrowed in the flower and is doing what it is supposed to do. I don't move the plant off the patio. I weigh the smell against being able to see the interesting flower, and the flower wins!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi there!!! Your stapeliad flower is gorgeous! Mine never really stunk to me, but the flies sure do love them!!! Glad you got some good pictures of them while open! Happy fall, by the way!!!
xoxo- Julie

Silly Little Sheep said...

Looks beautiful!! I had Stapelia variegata i my room some years ago, I used to sit and watch the flower open with that loud popping sound and then sit around and just look at it. And it DID stink too!! But I never realized until I left the room and then came back. The difference was unbelievable :) Then it found a nice place to live on the balcony. :)) I must get a plant again!!!