Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Finally, Some Color

Desert Marigold and Desert Bluebell

My back is sore from spending hours each day picking weeds--something I've been doing since our record rains in January, February and early March. But, all the rain did bring some nice spring color to my garden. Seems like things are blooming later than usual, at least by a couple of weeks.




Mammillaria Microhelia

Several species of Mammillaria are now blooming. By now I usually have many cacti in bloom, but so far, flowers have been sparse.

 


Eschscholzia californica


I have a nice stand of California Poppies in my front yard, and very few in back. Another mystery!



 

Mammillaria Mutadae

This cactus outgrew its pot, so I just decided to plant it in the ground last fall. So far, it's been doing well, and it's one cactus that bloomed right when expected.

12 comments:

Darla said...

Love the bright colors here!

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful flowers and unique to me. I've never been to the dessert. I especially like the two different Mammillaria flowers.

Elena said...

Your blooms are so bright and pretty. My dad lives on the desert too and he said they will have a lot of wild flowers where they live because of all the rain earlier this year also.

Carla said...

That first photo is amazing! What color:)

Deb said...

Beautiful blooming cactus plant, and yes, the first photo is stunning!

Jean said...

The bluebell and the marigold are a super combination. I also love the California poppy and the cactus looks like it has a flower halo on. Beautiful! Jean

Connie said...

My cousin lives near Phoenix, and she swears nothing grows there. Well, I'm sending her to your blog. Your flowers are beautiful!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing at Bloomin' Tuesday.

kesslerdee said...

Love your pictures as always. The yellow and blue together are yummy! I was thinking mine were later this year too, though I only have last year to compare to. I thought maybe I hadn't gotten mine out to get enough sunshine so I lugged them all out and then it went and rained again yesterday! I do finally have lots of tiny buds that are just starting, but not much in bloom yet.

Laurie and Chris said...

Love all the bright colors!

~~Rhonda said...

The bluebells and the marigolds are so pretty together! The two times I have been in the desert have been in the spring when the flowers are blooming. Your cacti are So beautiful! ~~Rhonda

Paula said...

Love to see all your flowers!
I still have these holly hock seeds for you!
Paula

Julie said...

How did I miss this post??? Beautiful mammillaria blooms! Mine is still just sitting there doing nothing yet.