Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Astrophytum myriostigma

Astrophytum myriostigma



This is a great cactus for those who are afraid of cacti because of the sharp spines and glochids. Astrophytum, means "star plant" in Greek. A. myriostigma is commonly called Bishop's Cap. The cactus is completely spine-free, and the skin is covered with white flecks that act as a sunscreen.
Bishop's Cap would be a perfect cactus for kids to learn about cacti and succulents. However, the cactus has to be about five to six years old before it flowers, so if you're interested in the flowers, be sure to buy a larger one.

10 comments:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a perfect little flower! I am not real familiar with cacti. I am enthralled by them, though :-) Rosie

Leaon Mary said...

Wow; that is new to me! Never seen one before! Thanks for sharing!!
Lea

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Bishop's cap, yes I can see that. Sometimes plants have names that make you go Huh? but this one is very appropriate. Cute little yellow er pompom too although not very bishop-y. ;-)

Jean said...

This is certainly a different cactus! The flower is beautiful! Thanks for joining the fun!

Cheryl said...

What a perfect plant and aptly named. Tahnks for the info on previous post, 150 cacti, what an amazing collection.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

cool plant. It looks something like the stone plant I used to have.

Claude said...

I've never tried one of these. I like how they look though. Maybe, if I stumble across one, I'll give it a shot.

beckie said...

I woud never have guessed that was a cactus. It's so odd but strangely captivating. A conversation starter for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow, a rock that grows flowers. :-)

Kylee Baumle said...

I used to have one of these! Yep. Killed it. :-(