Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tiny Cactus--Huge Flowers

Mammillaria saboae ssp. saboae


Mammillaria saboae is a miniature cactus, and the flowers are larger than the cactus stems from which they grow. The flower on this cactus is about 1-1/2 inches wide, and the stem is only 1/2 inch wide. The spine configuration on the M. saboae is quite attractive, as shown in a previous post. There are 17 to 25 spines per aureole, and the arrangement looks like a tiny star burst.


In Phoenix, this Mammillaria species must be kept in light shade, and it must have a fast draining soil mix. It prefers drier soil, so care must be taken not to over water.

7 comments:

Kylee Baumle said...

That's gorgeous, Aiyana!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Stunning hot pink but I like the yellow bishops cap!

Cheryl said...

The colour, can't describe it, so beautiful.

Julie said...

Nice color!!!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

wonderful photo again.

kate smudges said...

This photograph is amazing. I love the play of light on the petals.

I just to have a Bishop's Cap, but it died on me.

 gmirage said...

Pretty colors! Good thing it didnt burden the stem...I have some cactus here that has flowers before and when the flower died it started branching out, I took the small shoots and planted them but they aren't blooming till now, hope you could help me with it. I'll post them next week. Thanks you and sorry to bother....-Gizelle