Sunday, October 19, 2008

Scarecrows


"Though I appear a handsome man, I’m only stuffed with straw.
‘Tis difficult a man to plan without a single flaw.
Though you might think my lovely head - a store of lore contains,
The farmer lack of skill displayed and quite forgot my brains...."

~ Lyman Frank Baum




While shopping for craft supplies, I noticed this display of decorative scarecrows in front of the store. They were so colorful that I snapped a photo. In other parts of the country, scarecrows serve to scare away crows or blackbirds, but one never sees working scarecrows here in the desert, probably because we don't have many crows.
Nowadays, rather than scarecrows, farmers use shiny strips of aluminum or automatic noise generators to keep the birds away. The scarecrows have been relegated to an easier life, serving as a decorative symbol of fall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aiyana,
That's a cute photo and the quote is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Well, THEY'RE not very scary!

Sisah said...

These scare-scrows look so friendly nobody will be scared off :-))
LG
Sisa

CanadianGardenJoy said...

These little guys are EVERY where .. I think they have world domination in mind .. secretly ? LOL

Rosemary said...

cute and so cheery

Julie said...

Interesting! When we were on our weekend trip we saw a yard with a fig tree, and all in it they had tied those aluminum stove heating element protector thingies! They were blowing in the breeze and Mom explained it was to scare the birds away! It thought it was genius, and kinda pretty too!

kate smudges said...

These are much nicer than the scarecrows I see around farms nearby. I think I prefer them to noise generators too.

Barbara said...

I wonder wheter these scarecrows really fullfill their duty ;-) !! They are too cute to scare someone or something! On the contrary, their faces have a very inviting expression!! Here it is quite common to have scarecrows...
Barbara

kesslerdee said...

I am still catching up on blogs after being away. These are so cute! Makes me want to put together a scarecrow of sorts for Halloween! Sit him in my garden to keep the caterpillars company!