Monday, April 16, 2012

Resting Place

Pachycereus marginatus 


We had a gorgeous day Sunday, low 70s, breezy, with clear blue skies. It was quite a treat after a long period of hazy, cloudy days. I snapped this photo from inside the house as I knew that dove would take off if I opened the door! However, the reason for the photo was not to show the dove but to show the first time buds on my Mexican Fencepost cactus. When they finally bloom, the flowers will be bright red. This cactus now has five stems, and this one, the tallest, has grown to over nine feet! It grows about two feet a year, and can get up to about 20 feet tall. The cactus is frost sensitive, so the tips have to be protected to prevent damage. Luckily we had no frost this past winter. I guess I'll have to get out the ladder if frost is expected next winter--but if this cactus grows taller than my ladder, it's going to be on its own with no help from me!

No comments: